Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Not to Say

Sheila put me onto this website called "My OB said WHAT?!?", a showcase of incredibly insensitive and otherwise outrageous things women have heard from their ob-gyns, nurses, hospital staff, and many more.  Personally I've been blessed with a wonderful obstetrician so far, and I'm quite sorry to have to be leaving him next month after reading about some of these characters.

I've collected these little gems based on what would have been pertinent to my experiences so far, particularly with hyperemesis (nothing will stay down, even sipping water makes you vomit), multiple ER visits for emergency ultrasounds, and the miscarriage.  I know pregnant mothers can be overly sensitive and emotional, but seriously . . .

Go check it out, if you have healthy blood pressure.


"So, when are we going to diagnose this eating disorder?" -- OB to a mother who reported occasional vomiting during her third pregnancy, and had suffered with hyperemesis in a prior pregnancy.

"I don't think there is anything wrong with you.  I think it's all in your head, or that you're just doing it to yourself." -- OB to a mother who had been hospitalized twice before 26 weeks for hyperemesis and severe dehydration.

"This is for termination purposes, yes?" -- Ultrasound Tech to mother in for an early ultrasound for dating of her pregnancy.

"Oh, you've obviously never had a miscarriage." -- OB to mother who became upset after seeing her not living baby on the ultrasound.

"What do you mean you're not on any birth control?  Why not?" -- OB to mother who just suffered a miscarriage.

"The baby was absolutely perfect; you just must have clotted off the placenta and killed her." -- OB at a follow-up appointment with a mother who miscarried at 16 weeks.

"I know she's your daughter, but she's a miscarriage to us." -- OB to mother.

"Why are you crying?  That's just selfish.  There was probably something wrong with the babe anyways.  You would be wishing them a less than perfect life and that is pretty selfish of you." -- Family Practice doctor of mother who miscarried at 8 weeks.

"Oh, you must be so relieved!  I cried when I found out I was having twins!" -- L&D Nurse to mother during an early ultrasound.  The ultrasound indicated the loss of a twin.

"Oh, good!  A nice, clean uterus! . . . Now we can talk birth control so you don't end up here next year!" -- OB to mother during an ultrasound after a miscarriage.

"What's going on with you?" -- OB tersely speaking to mother who came for an office visit for D&C follow-up and medications for depression after a miscarriage.


And the winner . . .

"Do you have any STDs besides your kids?" -- OB to mother.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Just . . . Wow! I can't believe some people. I'm so thankful for my great OB team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have slapped them in the face!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pray for them all. They are the dead living in the culture of death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, that last one is the worst!

    I've thought of submitting some. I could not bear my doctors, except one or two in the practice who were sort of okay. They still asked me the birth control question, but when I said, "I'm not using any, because it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got pregnant again right away," she thought that made sense. No place for that on her chart though! What in the world is the world coming to? (Don't answer that question!)

    ReplyDelete